Monday, November 19, 2007

Simple Plan & Good Charlotte

Has anyone heard of Simple Plan's new single/video, 'When I'm Gone'?

Honestly, I was afraid to click on the play button when they put the song on their MySpace blog. I was a bit nervous, not knowing how their new song is going to turn out.

But thankfully, all my worries were for nothing.

They were still the band I grew to love for their straightforwardness in their lyrics. They might have changed just a little, but definitely for the better.

I felt guilty for nearly comparing them to Good Charlotte, who went

from:

The Anthem
So it’s a new day/ But it all feels old/ It’s a good life/ That’s what I’m told/ But everything it all just feels the same/ At my high school/ It felt more to me/ Like a jail cell/ A penitentiary/ My time spent there/ It only made me see

to this:

Keep Your Hands Off My Girl
You carry Dior bags and you got your Chanel/ You wear Louie Vitton, HG and YSL/ Now I got Bathing Ape, I got DCMA/ I got brass knuckles hanging from my neck and my chain/ I got a model 26, but she stays in her place/ I got a kershaw neatly tucked inside of my waist

For those who had been passionate GC fans, for the fact that they wrote heartfelt songs (i.e. Emotionless), they would've felt that their love and effort and support for the band had been scarred.

For those who loved them for their faces, they would continue their support, no offense intended.

For those who listened to 'what's hot', they would love the new GC.

Me? I was a fan who loved them for their songs, especially ones off The Young And The Hopeless.

I even thought that The Chronicles Of Life And Death was okay.

But Good Morning Revival turned me off.

In other words, a good band gone bad.

I was glad SP didn't follow in their footsteps. When I'm Gone is unexpected, yet something I would embrace. With this, I can safely say that the rest of the album is most likely going to turn out just as good. If it doesn't, then I'll still love them for being SP.

Click here to listen.

Carmen.

No comments: